Pages

Tuesday, October 2, 2012

I don't normally do this...

I hate link dumps and I don't particularly like posting content on this blog that isn't my own writing, but I do love me some Megan McArdle. In my opinion, she's the most intelligent and well written person in the chattering class. And she came out with a pretty damn good post about the arrogant attitudes of people who aren't in the business of making and operating businesses.

I never created my own firm. But I know secondhand how hard it is to create and sustain a business. I used to work at a very small "branch" of a pretty small IT consulting firm. Our main account (which was more than 95% of our business) was a 6 person graphical design firm who had one main account (which accounted for over 90% of their business). Hearing my employers and clients stress over making payroll and trying to square away the numbers was a humbling experience.

We take a lot of things for granted today. And there is nobody less visible and unglamorous than a struggling small business owner. It's something I think most people don't think about. I do, which is why I have a vastly more sympathetic view toward business than most people. Because most people don't appreciate how hard it is to convince another person to give you money, let alone repeatedly.

No comments:

Post a Comment