Pages

Tuesday, April 2, 2013

You're Welcome

And I'm not just talking about the return of Game of Thrones. Today's post has to be short and sweet. And I'm going to take the time to toot my own horn, kinda.

After the election, I wrote about what the Republican Party needs to do in order to win future national elections. And in the intervening period, high profile Republicans have come out in favor of marijuana decriminalization (Paul), comprehensive immigration reform (Rubio, Christie, others), gay marriage (Portman, Christie).

Now, what I've said isn't radically different than any other post-election analysis of the GOP. There are numerous challenges that the GOP faces on a national level. And, like many other analyses, I'll cite their strength at the state and local level. They have a deep gubernatorial bench to draw from. But the fact remains that the biggest Republican names have all "evolved" on issues once considered third rails in the national Republican party.

The biggest piece of advice that the Republicans must take to heart is to not revert back to their old ways when they see their electoral gains in 2014. Low turnout and a (likely) demoralized electorate will shift the electoral advantage towards the GOP, but it won't repeat in the 2016 general.

I've been a libertarian for a very long time. And I'm pretty excited, because I think the thought leaders within the GOP have finally been convinced that they can no longer rely on a predominantly white male demographic to win elections and must therefore start appealing to other demographics. That means a more inclusive GOP. And it also means a more libertarian GOP. There are plenty of issues that the GOP can outflank the Democrats on. They just need to sack up and roll the dice.

No comments:

Post a Comment